What is In Home Care / Home Child Care?
In Home Care is a unique and flexible form of child care where children are cared for in their own home by registered Educators. In Home Care is available to families where no other forms of child care can meet their needs.
In Home Care is available to families in Kempsey, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Wauchope and surrounding areas.
Who can use In Home Care / Home Child Care?
Families can access In Home Care when they:
• Have no access to existing child care services or
• Are in a circumstance where other existing child care services cannot meet their needs.
And at least one of the following criteria also applies:
• The child has, or lives with another child who has, an illness or a disability
• The child’s guardian (or guardian’s partner) has an illness or disability that affects their ability to care for the child
• The child lives in a rural or remote area
• The work hours of the child’s guardian (or guardian’s partner) are hours when no other approved child care service is available
• The child’s parent (or guardian’s partner ) is caring for three or more children who have not yet started school
It is a requirement under the Funding agreement set by the Department of Education and Training and the National In Home Care Standards that families using In Home Care will be assessed every 6 months by Kempsey Family Day Care Inc. to ensure the family is still eligible to receive In Home Care.
The Co-ordination Unit will visit your home to complete an eligibility form. Families may also be asked to provide documentation to support their claim.
The role of the Co-ordination Unit is to:
• Register Educators and families
• Conduct visits to the families homes at least 6 monthly. The Co-ordination Unit will have regular contact with the Educator by phone, face to face contact in the office and by email
• Be available to offer support and advice to families and Educators
• Monitor Educators and ensure they are providing children with the best opportunities to achieve learning outcomes
• Provide access to resources
• Providing Professional Training opportunities
• Offering weekly playgroup sessions
• Promoting and advertising their services
How much will it cost?
Service Joining Fee
Kempsey Family Day Care charges new families an enrolment fee for In Home Care: one child $ 40.00, two children $ 45.00, three or more children $ 50.00. This is non-refundable.
Educators are self- employed and are able to set their own fees (charged at an hourly rate). However this is usually in consultation with the Co-ordination Unit and the family. There may be additional fees incurred if there is transport, food or excursions involved. This will be negotiated between the Educator and family. These additional fees are not covered by Child Care Benefit.
An Administration Levy is charged to families and payable to the service. This is calculated per hour, per child.
Child Care Benefit (CCB)
Kempsey Family Day Care In Home Care is an approved child care service and eligible families can apply to Centrelink for Child Care Benefit to assist with the cost of child care.
Child Care Rebate (CCR)
Eligible families can receive the rebate to help reduce their child care costs. Parents can choose to have this rebate paid directly to their Educator to help reduce their child care costs.
For more information regarding CCB and CCR families can visit:
It is the family’s responsibility to inform their Educator of any changes to their entitlements and current percentages.
Schemes Policies and Procedures
All Educators carry a copy of the scheme’s Policies and Procedures covering five areas:
1. Physical Environment
2. Children’s Experiences, Learning and Development
3. Health, Hygiene, Nutrition, Safety and Wellbeing
4. Educators and Co- ordination Unit Staff and
5. Management and Administration
Parents can ask the Educator to view these policies at any time.
All In Home Care Educators are guided by the ‘In Home Care Interim Standards”.
For home visits to be successful, clear, open and honest communication is required between the family, Educator and our service. If you are experiencing difficulty we can help to identify and discuss possible solutions.
Our Educators have many responsibilities and are expected to provide a high standard of care and to adhere to the National Standards for In Home Care and our Schemes Policies.
During home visits Co-ordinators will:
• Monitor the quality of care by looking at the interactions between the educator and children, hygiene and safety risks, behaviour management and experiences offered to children
• Observe the children and assessing their developmental needs and experiences to ensure children are reaching and working towards learning outcomes
• Support the educator by discussing any issues and suggesting ideas and resources
• Ensure appropriate records are being maintained and
• Exchange resources from the toy and resource library
Co-ordinators supporting Educators are qualified staff and have an understanding of In Home Care.
Prior to enrolment, our In Home Care Co-ordinator will visit your home to conduct a Home Safety Check.
Before commencing In Home Care, families will need to complete an enrolment form and pay the joining fee. You will also need to provide the service with copies of your child/ren’s:
• Birth certificate
• Immunisation History Statement issued by Medicare (Blue Book cannot be accepted)
You can access the statement by contacting the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809, by visiting Medicare Online Services (www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/online), by emailing email@example.com or visiting your local Department of Human Services Centre, Medicare or Centrelink office.
• Current Medical Management Plan (if your child has been diagnosed with any medical condition eg. Asthma, Anaphylaxis, Diabetes, Epilepsy).
Interested? Enquire now.
To enquire about vacancies with any of our services, please contact Kempsey Family Day Care’s Co-ordination Unit on 02 6562 6387, or alternatively, please complete and submit the “Enquire About Care” form on our enquiry page here >> We’ll get back to you to discuss care options and availability.